[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:15:49 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > All in all, is anyone of the opinion that losing him as a community
>> > member
>> > is worse than keeping him around?
>>
>> No.
>

> It's pretty clear that he's not a net value to Python development. But
> perhaps his attempts at contributing (no matter how clumsy) have value for
> him? I imagine it must be pretty lonely being the only geek with deep Python
> knowledge and interest in Minsk. I realize he's making it hard to be
> compassionate. But I still think what sets him apart from the typical troll
> is that he doesn't do it because he likes disagreement. He just lacks social
> skills (English not being his first language may contribute here). And yes,
> he doesn't seem to be learning from the feedback he gets.

That's why I think an explicit warning might be good in this case (if
it hasn't already been given).  He obviously(?) cares about Python, so
the threat of banning might be what it takes to get him to give pause
before posting.  The lack of social skills can go both ways (i.e. both
writing and interpreting), in which case he might not have picked up
on any implicit threat of banning.  But I know very little about the
situation, so feel free to disregard my suggestion.

--Chris