[python-committers] Python Language Summit at PyCon 2012

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Mar 2 14:01:26 CET 2012

Correction: Wednesday 7th March. Oops.... :-)

Hello all,

PyCon is nearly upon us, and with it the Python Language Summit.

The summit will be on Wednesday **7th** March at the PyCon venue.  The
room will be Mission City M1, with the designation "D4" on the floor
plan created by the PyCon organisers.

We will start proceedings at 10:30am. Coffee and snacks will be
available at 10:00am, before we start. There will be a lunch break, and
an afternoon break at 3pm. We will continue to around 5pm. The room will
be set in classroom style with tables and chairs and we will (allegedly)
have wifi available.

Topics we have tabled for discussion include:

Which namespace PEP (382 or 402, if either) is to be accepted for 3.3.

How can the PSF help alternate implementations.

Experimental packages in the standard library.

Splitting out standard library into a separate repo.

Proposed changes to the release cycle (and LTS releases).

What we can do to get speed.python.org going.

What the other VMs need from CPython for Python 3 support to be easier.

What can be done in Python 3 to make web development easier.

virtualenv-like functionality in Python.

importlib bootstrap.

PEP-397 (Windows launcher)

Securing the various python runtimes against hash collision
denial-of-service attacks. (Complete for CPython now?)

Keyword arguments for functions / methods implemented in C:
1) Should _all_ Python base types support keyword arguments on all of
their methods.
2) Should _all_ stdlib extension modules support keyword arguments on
all of their functions and methods?

See you all there!

All the best,

Michael Foord