[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 26 17:45:38 CET 2012

No, I never got on Skype with Anatoly. I did write a very frank email and
got the usual response. I don't think I am up to doing anything more about
him. He doesn't bother me that much, I ignore most of his threads. He is a
reviewer and committer on Rietveld and behaves better there.

--Guido

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Brian Curtin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > That said, ISTM that the main problem is that the way he communicates is
> not
> > really effective and that results in an "energy drain" for other people.
> > This can be addressed on both the sides.
> > The community should ignore the tone of the messages or even the messages
> > themselves and most importantly avoid replies that convey the same
> negative
> > feelings.
>
> I've filtered his emails to the trash for almost two years now, but
> I'm not going to ignore that he's now discouraging my friends and
> colleagues from contribution. I already removed myself from the nosy
> list on a bunch of issues he created in the past, and the people who
> were willing to work with him are dropping off. I also will not ignore
> his tone about a GSoC contribution being useless.
>
> > People should be able to recognize when a discussion is not
> > constructive anymore and leave it, rather than wasting time just to
> prove a
> > point or to repeat themselves.  (Note that this apply to everyone, and
> not
> > to anatoly in particular).
> > Regarding the effectiveness of the communications there's certainty room
> for
> > improvement, but apparently the previous attempts to address the problem
> > were unsuccessful.  I'm willing to make an attempt myself, as I think I
> have
> > a quite clear idea of the problem.
>
> You're wasting your time if you think you will be the one to break
> through to him after several people have already talked to him.
> Apparently he even got on Skype with Guido about this. People would
> *pay* to have that chance. Anatoly got it for being a jerk and it
> changed nothing.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)