[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:09:44 CET 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> FWIW, I agree 100% with Terry here.  I'm certainly annoyed by many of
> Anatoly's
> contributions, and find myself extremely unwilling to do anything about his
> perceived issues, but to exclude a community member publicly (!) from all
> (!)
> python.org resources is going too far IMO.  Individual policy violations
> can and
> should of course be sanctioned.

I also agree with Terry and Georg.

I don't think anyone should be banned from the tracker or from the MLs
unless their actions are intentionally destructive (e.g. flooders/spammers).
This is not the case for anatoly, so in my opinion we should not take this
kind of action against him.
While I mostly lurk on python-dev/ideas, I interacted with him several
times on the bug and meta trackers, rejecting/closing a number of
suggestions/issues and accepting a few others.  I did so merely on the
value of the suggestion itself, and I can really easily ignore the tone of
the message (e.g. frustrated, angry).

That said, ISTM that the main problem is that the way he communicates is
not really effective and that results in an "energy drain" for other people.
This can be addressed on both the sides.
The community should ignore the tone of the messages or even the messages
themselves and most importantly avoid replies that convey the same negative
feelings.  People should be able to recognize when a discussion is not
constructive anymore and leave it, rather than wasting time just to prove a
point or to repeat themselves.  (Note that this apply to everyone, and not
to anatoly in particular).
Regarding the effectiveness of the communications there's certainty room
for improvement, but apparently the previous attempts to address the
problem were unsuccessful.  I'm willing to make an attempt myself, as I
think I have a quite clear idea of the problem.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

cheers,