[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Dec 26 15:00:01 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 7:28 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> Anatoly has been shaming us publicly for years.  We would be much more
> polite and rational in any more-public statement made (I trust).  We
> would still draw fire.  That may or may not make us stronger in the
> long run...for it to do so we will, in fact, need to have a principled
> position to rest upon, and thus I think we would be well recommended
> to have something PEP-like in terms of a policy statement.
>
> I wonder if a public discussion aimed at developing such a policy
> would clue Anatoly in (probably not).  I wonder what other communities
> have done.  I know Python is one of the leaders in the COC matter,
> so perhaps we will have to be a leader here as well.
>
> This is not easy stuff.

Any such CoC or policy should probably apply to all python.org mailing
lists, and bolting one after things like -dev/ideas/list have been
around for so long is going to be a hard task to get right. I do think
something along the lines of a CoC is a good thing here, but I think
it's much larger than python-dev and probably shouldn't be implemented
as the result of or as a reaction to one person. I think it'd probably
be a PSF-level thing to apply to python.org properties (a few
discussions have kicked off, but nothing's more than an inch off the
ground).

I also think the process of creating a CoC that we don't immediately
get burned at the stake for could take a long time to create and
implement. I don't think we should have to put up with Anatoly while
that process gets kicked around.