[python-committers] state of repo?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Apr 6 19:25:46 CEST 2012

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:57:29 +0200, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 06.04.2012 04:44, schrieb R. David Murray:
> > I just tried to merge a change from 3.2 to default and found an unexpected
> > file being merged.  Looking at the graph, it *looks* like Sandro copied a
> > change to default instead of merging it, even though his commit comment
> > says merge.  That would be fine, I'd just do a null merge...except that
> > the file I'm being asked to merge when I try that seems to have nothing
> > to do with Sandro's commits.  It is deleting one paragraph and adding
> > another in the threading docs.
> >
> > Can someone sort this out, please?  It's currently beyond my knowledge
> > of hg to do so.
>
> Tip: "hg glog" (from the graphlog extension), or any of the GUIs that have
> this graph view builtin, is very useful to check the actual state of the
> branches.  In this case, as Benjamin noted, it was just a non-merge commit
> erroneously given the commit message "merge".

I did look at 'hg glog', and I did see that (I mentioned the mislabeled
non-merge commit).  But when I looked at the commit that wasn't merged
(via hg diff -c), it was a one-liner that had nothing to do with the merge
'hg merge' was asking me to do.

I'm guessing the latter was coming from some *previous* commit Sandro
did, but as I said I wasn't comfortable with my ability to figure out
what that was and if merging it was in fact the right thing to do.
(It didn't *look* like the right thing to do since it was deleting
a paragraph about a CPython implementation detail.)

So thanks Benjamin for taking care of it.

--David