[python-committers] [PSF-Members] [Fwd: Re: Push rights for Ross Lagerwall]

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Mar 9 16:18:46 CET 2011

I really don't understand what all the fuzz is about. We have
a two step process:

* Step 1

What the PSF initially needs is an acknowledgement of the
contributor (committer or not) that he or she is willing to
accept and enter into the agreement.

This can be done by checking a checkbox on the bug tracker,
a comment on the tracker, an inline note in the patch,
an emailed form, via IRC, etc.

The only important aspect in this step is to make the contributor
aware of the requirement and get his/her agreement to follow
up on it.

* Step 2

The paperwork can then be done as second step - in whatever
way is legally needed.

The only important aspect with this second step is that
the PSF does get to know about the new contribution. Since
Pat is not following the checkins list, an email to her
would be nice.

* Possible issues and solutions

If anything, I believe it's the legal form we require that's
giving people second thoughts, not finding a fax machine or
post box :-)

   http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/

Or perhaps, they are not aware of the requirement at all,
since the tracker doesn't mention it on the submission page:

   http://bugs.python.org/issue?@template=item

A simple note like this on the tracker would go a long way:

"""
Please be aware that we can only accept patches for Python
if you are willing to sign a contributor agreement with
the PSF (linked to the contrib forms).

The agreement is necessary in order for the PSF to be able
to legally distribute your contribution together with the
Python distribution. If you have questions, please write to
contributor-agreement at python.org.
"""

contributor-agreement at python.org could be aliased to
psf at python.org, pat at python.org, or even better, a
PSF committee taking care of this business.

For new core committers, I believe that step 1 and 2 ought
to really already have happened long before they even become
core committers. After all, submitting code is one of the
more important requirements we have for them, right ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 09 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/