[python-committers] Partial commit privileges

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Sun Jan 9 03:18:44 CET 2011

Hi,

The process to gain the commit priviledges is long, and it is sometimes
difficult to decide if someone should have it or not. Would it be
possible to have different "levels" of commit priviledes to simplify the
process? Eg. first only be able to commit on a specific module, and then
maybe more modules, to finally be able to commit everywhere. It doesn't
need to be a technical limitation.

The idea is to imply more people in the Python development and recognize
their work.

I remember that a rule to imply someone into the Python development is
that we look for people in the long-term. Is the artial commit privilege
compatible with this rule?

What do you think? Would it be dangerous?

As the current process, we should have mentors, maybe more than one
mentor for one new developer.

I would be happy to be the mentor of someone even if I don't have
suggestion currently.

Victor