[python-committers] [PSF-Members] Code Simplicity » Open Source Community, Simplified

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Feb 4 17:03:25 CET 2011

On Feb 04, 2011, at 04:10 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:

>If we up-port, no patch is forgotten. The rule should be: "patches in
>n+1 are a SUPERSET of patches in n". With this rule, mercurial takes
>care of everything (a patch in n+1 can 'undo' a patch up-ported from n,
>if needed, keeping the rule).

I'm not totally convinced, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelieve and
embrace The Mercurial Way to see how well it works in practice.  ;)

>> The worse possibility is that fixes may be applied to maintenance
>> branches and not to the main line of development, leading to
>> regressions after upgrades (since the associated tests wouldn't be
>> forward ported either).
>
>That is not going to happen, because the mercurial merging between
>maintenance and development. This is the up-porting side, and merging
>should be automatic, you don't need to track anything, it is
>automagically done by mercurial.

Given that this workflow is a social one, encouraged but not imposed by the
technology, how will we respond when things are done The Wrong Way?  What are
the effects if someone forgets and commits a patch to trunk first?  Have we
hosed the branches or is it just a PITA to recover?

-Barry