[python-committers] [PSF-Members] Code Simplicity » Open Source Community, Simplified

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Feb 3 09:05:43 CET 2011

Am 03.02.2011 01:37, schrieb Jesus Cea:
> On 02/02/11 21:30, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> Just exactly the reverse of current workflow.
>
>> And for good reason (IMO).  It's often much less clear exactly how far back a
>> specific patch should be committed when it's first being developed.  It makes
>> much more sense to me to fix a problem in the current development branch
>> first, and then determine if, how, and where the patch should be back ported.
>
> While I do agree with your point, when I take over a bug I test all
> supported versions to see which ones are buggy. Now you can choose to
> patch the latest and backport, or to patch the oldest and up-port. It is
> a choice. Mercurial is designed for up-porting.
>
> In fact, "up-porting" is usually better, because you don't have to think
> if you must downport or not. Versión "n+1" is always a superset of
> versión "n". So you "up-port" *ALWAYS*, automatically (mostly) via merge.
>
> If you choose the backporting way, you must take a decision about what
> to backport, for every single changeset. And god forbids you forget
> something in the process...

That is the biggest problem.

If we do adopt the backporting approach (which I dislike as well), I will
continue work on my extended transplant extension that tracks backported
changesets and supports blocking, as I think it will be essential to have
something like svnmerge in that case.

> I agree you have a point when you write a new functionality for the
> latest version and LATER somebody decides that a particular changeset
> must be backported. Or a fix not planed for old versions is re-scheduled.
>
> Would be very nice if the HG cherrypick extension would be more clever.
> Of if mercurial would recognize that a patch is already manually
> committed in both lines, and cope with that gracefully when merging.

It does, if the diff is the same.  If the diff is different, how should
Mercurial know that the two changesets are the same patch?

Georg