[python-committers] [PSF-Members] Code Simplicity » Open Source Community, Simplified

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 2 19:59:21 CET 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>>> By merge I meant the cherry picking operation itself ("svnmerge").
>>
>> To be concrete, how many patches went inside 2.7.0 after cutting the
>> "rc1"?. Ideally, the answer should be "a handful".
>
> I don't think we are talking about branching after rc1 but after beta1,
> so that the feature branch can continue receive non-bugfix patches.
> That's quite many changesets to review.
The paper I referenced talks about branching after tagging the release candidate. It seemed trivially obvious to me that you wouldn't want to branch while the feature set code is still being modified.

That way the only things that (might) need merging would be late-stage and hopefully minor fixes from the released branch to the main trunk. With release candidates of sufficiently high quality there should be nothing to do.

It seems so much simpler. To me, at least. But I could be missing something.

regards
 Steve