[python-committers] History lost in svn to hg conversion

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Apr 25 23:56:47 CEST 2011

Le lundi 25 avril 2011 à 17:43 -0400, R. David Murray a écrit :
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:00:21 -0400, Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > ..
> > > All mainline history has been kept, as well as "active" feature branches
> > > (feature branches someone asked to be kept) (*). I don't know if
> > > Alexander's changesets are part of that, since he didn't precise where
> > > they were made in the SVN repos (if they were made in the sandbox,
> > > chances are they weren't).
> > >
> > > (*) Look at "history management" for more information:
> > > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/#history-management
> >
> > It is possible that I did not pay enough attention during hg migration
> > discussions, but I don't remember seeing any call for feature branches
> > to be preserved.   Did anyone ever post a list of feature branches to
> > be dropped during hg migration?  How would developers know that they
> > would need to "opt-in" for their work to be preserved?  Given the
> > unforgiving nature of hg when it comes to altering history, I don't
> > think sufficient notice was given when the decision to trim the
> > history was made.
>
> I remember a (brief) discussion and at least one call for nominating
> branches to preserve (I believe there was more than one call), which
> included a list that the poster (Antoine? Djirkan?) was planning to keep
> and the kinds of things he was planning to drop.  I think it happened on
> python-dev rather than here, though.

A quick search found the following message by Dirkjan, but it is likely
earlier messages on the subject had been posted too:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-July/090325.html

By the way, the "pymigr" repository where the "all-branches.txt" file is
stored is now only accessible through the ssh:// URLs, as someone
complained that unmangled e-mail addresses of former committers were
given out by the Web UI (in the "author-map" file).

Regardless, since Alexander's previous work was in the sandbox repo (not
the python repo), I don't think it would have been possible to integrate
it during the hg migration.

Regards