[python-committers] History lost in svn to hg conversion

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Apr 25 20:47:11 CEST 2011

Le lundi 25 avril 2011 à 14:29 -0400, Steve Holden a écrit :

> Great advice for the future, Antoine. Now can you help with the Hg
> issue?

As far as I understand it, this is not so much an hg issue than a
migration issue.

> I had understood that *all* history was going to be retained. Did I
> misremember or was I incorrectly advised?

All mainline history has been kept, as well as "active" feature branches
(feature branches someone asked to be kept) (*). I don't know if
Alexander's changesets are part of that, since he didn't precise where
they were made in the SVN repos (if they were made in the sandbox,
chances are they weren't).

(*) Look at "history management" for more information:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/#history-management

Also, there are some kind of things that are possible in SVN land (for
example, copying some files from one branch/revision, other files from
another one, etc.) which cannot be expressed in hg terms. The migration
would have converted these changesets to a "dumber" form - without
losing the actual contents of the files.

Regards