[python-committers] Python Language Summit at PyCon 2011

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Nov 28 19:05:43 CET 2010

Hello all,

We will be holding another Python language summit as part of PyCon 2011
in Atlanta. The summit will be on Thursday March 10th, the second day of
the tutorials and the day before the conference proper begins.

All python-committers are invited (if you have attended in previous
years you will receive another copy of this invitation). If you intend
to attend, or think it is likely that you will attend, please reply and
let me know as soon as possible to help with venue planning. A maybe is
fine, you can always change your mind later. Attending for only part of
the day is fine. We expect the summit to run from 10am - 4pm with
appropriate breaks.

We will also be inviting contributors to alternative implementations of
Python, and select Python community members. Again, having an idea of
the number of attendees help us to decide how many of these we can invite.

If you are giving a tutorial and would also like to attend the language
summit you will need to talk to the tutorial organisers and let them
know that you won't be available on the Thursday.

As in previous years we are also running a VM summit, on Wednesday March
9th. This is by invite only, with no general invitation to
python-committers. Invites have already gone out, but if you would like
to be included please email me and (space permitting) I will add you.

If you have suggestions of people you think should be invited to the
language summit then feel free to pass them onto me.

Details of the language summit are below.

What is it?
-----------

The Python Language Summit is an invitation-only event for the
developers of Python implementations (CPython, IronPython, Jython,
Parrot, PyPy, etc.) to share information, discuss our shared problems
and hopefully solve them.

These issues might be related to the language itself, the standard
library, the development process, Python 3.x and 2.x, the
documentation, package index, web site, etc. The Summit will focus on
discussion more than on presentations; the planned program is included
at the bottom of this message. We're currently planning for 50-60
people to attend the Summit.

The Language Summit is being organized in conjunction with PyCon 2011,
with support from the Python Software Foundation. This is the fourth
language summit.

http://us.pycon.org/2011/home/

Previous summits were held at PyCon 2009 & 2010 and EuroPython 2010.

Where is it?
------------

The Language Summit will be at the Hyatt Atlanta Regency Hotel
( http://atlantaregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp ), the same hotel
where the conference is being held. Thursday March 10 is the day before
PyCon
begins, and is also the second day of the PyCon tutorials.

The summit will be from 10am - 4pm and is likely to be in the Courtland or
Dunwoody rooms. Further details will be emailed to attendees before the
event.

What is required?
-----------------

Attending the Summit is free. You are responsible for your travel and
hotel costs.

If you wish to attend PyCon, you must still register and pay for
PyCon. Note that you don't have to stay for PyCon if you're only
interested in the Language Summit.

As it does every year, PyCon will be offering financial assistance to
people who are unable to attend the conference otherwise. I am not on
the financial-aid committee and can't guarantee anything, but language
summit attendees would stand a very good chance of receiving some aid.

See http://us.pycon.org/2010/registration/financial-aid/ for more
information about financial aid. (This is the 2010 page, registration
for 2011 has not yet opened. Procedures for applying for financial
aid are likely to be the same as 2010.)

What do I need to do?
---------------------

If you would like to attend the summit, or would like a slot to be
reserved for you, then please reply to this email (off-list). We only
have space for 60 attendees so it is important we know who is attending.

Note that the summit proceedings may be recorded and made publicly
available.

I look forward to seeing you and working with you at the Summit.

Regards,

Michael Foord
Coordinator, Python Language Summit

p.s. The sessions have not been finally decided. Suggestions for topics
of discussion will be gratefully received. Once I have a session
outlines I will post them on this list. Bonus points for reading this
far down the email by the way...

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.