[python-committers] Deny nonbreaking spaces in the precommit script?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Nov 9 00:26:07 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 08.11.2010 14:19, schrieb Fredrik Lundh:

>>> “[...] the stdlib is already supposed to be ASCII only except for
>>> author names in comments and a few specific encoding test cases.”
>>>
>>> You seem to have missed part of the sentence.
>>
>> No, I didn't.  Try again.
>
> Ok, my try: You deliberately have chosen to ignore it. Right?

Not at all.  The original statement had the form "A, except B and C".
That's not very hard to parse, is it?   A is always true, except for
the specific cases B and C.

When Michael then infers that "A means that D must be escaped", Nick
claims that C ("encoding test cases") actually was referring to D
("string literals in the standard library").  That's clearly not true
for any straight-forward interpretation of those phrases, and I've
never ever seen Guido be that imprecise in his writing, but when I
wonder why he said C if he meant D, I suddenly find myself in a fight
with two minibosses.  What's going on here?

</F>