[python-committers] Untabifying the C codebase

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun May 9 18:56:27 CEST 2010

> Following discussion on python-dev, I plan to untabify the C codebase
> this afternoon. It would probably be better if nobody modified any C files
> in the meantime (except those that already use 4 space indents).
>
> I expect the whole operation to take a couple of hours.

This was done in r81029 (trunk), r81031 (2.6), r81032 (3.x) and r81033
(3.1). I'm mentioning the revision numbers because it seems
python-checkins blocked the diffs, sensibly enough.

There may be a couple of places where formatting was slightly worsened
(especially comments). Most of the files look totally fine, though. I've
done some visual inspection, but I could not examine each of the 500000
diff lines in each branch.

There was one file that I didn't touch: Modules/_cursesmodule.c
Indentation is so uncommon there that interested people should reformat
it themselves, if desired.

If you have patches pending and they don't apply cleanly anymore, you
can either:
 - use "patch -l", and then reformat the modified lines manually
 - use "untabify.py -p" on your patch
(http://svn.python.org/view/*checkout*/sandbox/trunk/untabify/untabify.py)

Regards