[python-committers] Is 3.1 open?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 17 22:38:14 CET 2010

Le jeudi 18 mars 2010 à 07:26 +1000, Nick Coghlan a écrit :

> > We could already do so with SVN, simply by opening a release branch when
> > entering rc phase, and only merging selected (release blocking) fixes to
> > that branch. There's nothing DVCS-specific here.
>
> I came across an interesting explanation from Joel Spolsky the other day
> as to why this isn't actually true (even with svnmerge):
> http://hginit.com/00.html

Sure, but Joel Spolsky's hand-waving notwithstanding, svnmerge generally
works for the kind of use we are talking about (short-lived release
branches with small cherry-picked transplants). Now for long-lived
branches svnmerge is weaker, although not totally useless either;
otherwise we wouldn't use it for py3k.