[python-committers] Frozen branches in Hg

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 14 00:40:36 CET 2010

Am 14.03.2010 00:35, schrieb Georg Brandl:
> Am 14.03.2010 00:08, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
>> On Mar 13, 2010, at 07:11 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>>
>>>No need to file a new issue -- I've promoted 8111 to release blocker.
>>>I've added an explanation and a collective diff.  No further RC is needed.
>>
>> Thanks; I've accepted and closed the issue.
>>
>>>Sorry for directly committing this, but I felt it was within my disgression
>>>as Documentation Expert and just fair -- after all PEP 101 states you have
>>>to get my approval during the release process, which I didn't see for
>>>these RCs :)
>>
>> This is true. :)  I really appreciate the fix, and you're definitely right
>> that it's your discretion to make these commits.  I'm just being overly
>> paranoid during rc2->final because I'm really hoping to avoid an rc3.  For me,
>> your bug report was perfect because it explained what and why you were doing
>> it, and that you're confident an rc3 isn't needed.  But I want to make sure
>> that you're cool with the process, so let me know if you think I went too far.
>
> No, I don't -- I quite understand that you want to know what's going on in
> "your" branch so close to the final, and I should have known that.  I'll be
> in the same position soon for 3.2.  So, thanks for bringing it up.

Thinking of that a bit more: after the Hg transition, shouldn't we be able to
really freeze a branch that is in pre-release approval-needed mode?  It is
trivial for anyone to commit a fix to their own branch, and then instead of
pushing they'd have to notify the release manager to pull from them, as the
only person who can push to the frozen branch.

Dirkjan, is that feasible?

Georg