[python-committers] branches and merging

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Mar 10 08:29:51 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:13, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
> This is a really excellent suggestion, and the perfect excuse to get
> familiar with MQ, that I haven't tried yet.
>
> I have a strange error:
>
> """
> [jcea at babylon5 home]$ hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython/
> destination directory: cpython
> requesting all changes
> abort: HTTP Error 414: Request-URI Too Large
> """
>
> Using an sniffer, I see the request is actually huge. I am using
> Mercurial 1.5.
>
> I can pull individual branches, with "-b" flag
> (http://hg.python.org/cpython/branches), but I have the same issue doing
> a "pull" later.
>
> It is not possible to download the full repository?. I could update the
> clone branch by branch, but must be a better way...
>
> Suggestions?.

Yes, so, this is the result of me not having fully processed the
repository yet to prune or merge some branches. (We're also treating
it as a bug that we'd like to get fixed in 1.6, but protocol changes
aren't very easy due to backwards compatibility concerns.)

So, in the meantime, if you have ssh access, make your clone via ssh.
Otherwise, clone a single branch, like this:
http://hg.python.org/cpython#py3k, and that should prevent you from
getting the error even on subsequent pulls.

Cheers,

Dirkjan