[python-committers] branches and merging

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Tue Mar 2 17:52:11 CET 2010

On 02/03/2010 16:41, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 17:12, Steve Holden<steve at holdenweb.com>  wrote:
>
>> And does it look like a non-issue because you are familiar with the
>> Windows environment or because your imagination can't conceive of why it
>> would be a real problem? Does going ahead make development more
>> difficult for the Windows platform? I'm not fully familiar with the
>> issues, but if they were significant enough to persuade Brett that Hg
>> shouldn't go ahead I have to believe they are potential show-stoppers.
>>
> It's perceived as not much of an issue, AFAICT, because people feel
> that using good editors will save you most of the time, pre-push hooks
> will prevent everyone from actually polluting the central repository,
> and it would be easy to install pre-commit hooks locally to get an
> early warning. ISTM that the remaining problem space is a high level
> of automation that some Windows developers desire, that they got from
> SVN, but that is quite small because there's a bunch of mitigating
> factors. It's perceived as a regression, and as making Windows
> developers second class because most of the issues won't come up on
> other systems.

What is the risk of going ahead with a broken system?

The crux of the matter is that building Python for Windows could break
if someone accidentally commits the wrong line-endings for a few
specific files (Visual Studio project and configuration files - do I
understand correctly?). If this happens, how hard a job would it be to
find and fix the problem?

The risk *seems* reasonably low, people on non-Windows platforms are
unlikely to touch those files and they are unlikely to be edited by
hand, and if the cost of fixing the problem is low it seems reasonable
to migrate earlier rather than later.

Would it help for the PSF to pay someone to do the necessary testing +
coding to ensure the problem is fixed and is there a likely person we
could contract?

All the best,

Michael Foord