[python-committers] Delaying 3.2 release

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Jun 30 10:43:57 CEST 2010

Am 29.06.2010 05:32, schrieb Senthil Kumaran:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:28 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>
>> The ones I want to get done are PEPs 382 and 384.
>
> Just to have the direct information on these PEPs inline.
>
> PEP 382 - Namespace Packages
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0382/
> PEP  383 - Definition of Stable ABI
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0384/

PEP 382 would be nice to have.

>> Something I know others want to achieve is the switch to Mercurial. A
>> number of PEPs are targetted for 3.2 with unclear status: 3143, 3144,
>> 3145, 3148.
>
> PEP 3143 - Standard Deamon Process Library
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3143/
>
> PEP 3144 - IP Address Manipulation Library
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3144/
>
> PEP 3145 - Asynchronous I/O for Subprocess.Popen
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3145/
>
> PEP 3148 - futures package
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3148/
>
> Except for the 'futures' package which featured discussion again
> recently, others have been in a sleeping mode for a while.
> There is a codeline ( I assume, it is stable) for the above mentioned
> additions to stdlib maintained outside the svn tree.

All of these will need to be "finished" and proposed for inclusion
officially, before they can be approved.

All in all, hearing the arguments in this thread I agree that a month
more time for development is a good thing, and I will update the release
schedule accordingly.

Georg