[python-committers] Eric Araujo (merwok) as Distutils commiter

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 27 17:55:45 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le mardi 27 juillet 2010 à 07:15 -0700, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
>> Well like it or not Tarek is not going to do it. So who will? You, or
>> a new volunteer?
>
> Well, we don't even know if Éric actually volunteers for maintaining
> distutils.

I'm kind of guessing that Tarek checked with Éric first (as is
customary in such cases).

> Otherwise the module will just rot as Tarek said, until distutils2
> replaces it.

Well, rotting has been the distutils status quo for years, hasn't it?
In fact, I thought that once significant changes were made, things got
worse for a while due to (insanely subtle) backwards
incompatibilities.

> This is certainly a less than optimal transition, but if
> distutils2 matures quickly enough it will not be as painful as it seems.
> (much less painful anyway than the state of distutils before Tarek
> started maintenance on it)

Let's not forget that Tarek is also a volunteer. If he has to choose
between maintaining distutils or spending more time getting distutils2
in shape, the choice is his, but ISTM that the choice he stated (work
on distutils2) is the better one anyways.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)