[python-committers] changes after 2.7 final

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 2 06:10:27 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 20:17, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> After I tag 2.7 this Saturday, I will effect the following changes in
> the repository:
> - I will make the 2.7 maintenance branch.
> - I will remove svnmerge from trunk -> py3k.

Thanks for going through to make sure no commits were going to be lost.

> - I will initialize svnmerge from py3k -> 2.7maint.

We should probably all get into the habit of making sure that we leave
any issues open with Python 2.7 flagged as an effected version to get
fixes ported. These then could become "easy" issues for people to
contribute through by letting others create a backport patch. Else we
could think about introducing a "2.x backport" (or simply "backport")
keyword to flag such open issues.

> - The trunk will be officially closed. I suggest you just delete your
> trunk working copies (or switch them anyway) because a commit hook
> will be in place to prevent commits to it.

Boy will it be nice to be down to only three official branches. Can't
wait until we can drop Python 2.7 as well and really only have two
branches to care about.