[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Dec 6 13:24:56 CET 2010

On Dec 05, 2010, at 11:15 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>It only increases complexity if we don't cut one of the tar.bz2 or tgz
>source releases. But by offering a a tar.xz file we can give people a
>smaller download which saves everyone time and bandwidth which can
>matter if the downloader's Internet connection is slow and/or costly.

I mildly wonder about download scripts out there that have baked-in
assumptions about the files that are available.  It's not actually that hard
to predict the url of a download file for a new release.

I can't imagine *adding* a download format is that much more complex, except
perhaps for our users to try to figure out which file to grab, and even that's
stretching it I think.  But I would be okay with adding an .xz download for
3.2 and then re-evaluating the offerings for 3.3.  It would be an interesting
experiment to see how many .xz downloads we get (I hadn't even heard of the
format until now).

-Barry