[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 5 22:30:14 CET 2010

>> That, in turn, is easy to answer: yes, there are. Certain Solaris
>> releases had gzip available (even though /usr/bin/tar wouldn't know
>> how to invoke it), but no bzip2 utility.
>
> If these are Solaris platforms we support then that's fine and we
> should keep tgz files, but if these are platforms we no longer care
> about then I say the lives of release managers should be simplified by
> cutting tgz files.

We haven't been really careful in determining what Solaris releases
we support; PEP 11 lists no Solaris releases that are not supported
anymore. I'd say anything since Solaris 9 (released 2002) needs to
be supported. Unfortunately, I don't have any installation of that
anymore, so I'm not sure whether it had bzip2 - I doubt it, but
it is certainly possible to obtain a bzip2 binary from SunFreeware
(or build it yourself from source).

Regards,
Martin