[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Dec 5 20:43:27 CET 2010

Am 05.12.2010 20:39, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
>> I wonder if it's still necessary to provide .tar.bz2 and .tgz source
>> tarballs.  If anything, it would be nice to provide .tar.xz in addition
>> to .tar.bz2, which has a nicer compression ratio:
>
> Looking at download statistics, for the 2.7 release, in July, we had
> these numbers of downloads:
>
> Python-2.7.tgz     32059
> Python-2.7.tar.bz2 24986
> python-2.7.msi    577240
>
> In November, the numbers were
>
> Python-2.7.tgz       24535
> Python-2.7.tar.bz2   20797
> python-2.7.msi      569328

OK, so the tgz is still more popular than the bz2 one, and that means
it shouldn't go away.

I've decided to make tar.xz tarballs available for the remaining 3.2
prereleases; we'll see if anyone at all is interested in them.

As for the .zip version, I've not found any requests for a source
download with Windows-specific newlines.  I suppose that developers
either check out directly from SVN, or have decompression programs
and editors that can cope.

cheers,
Georg