[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 16:56:48 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 12:16:48PM +0100, Georg Brandl wrote:
> I wonder if it's still necessary to provide .tar.bz2 and .tgz source
> tarballs.

Yes, it is necessary. People sometimes just expect it from an Open
Source project. (At least, when someone is going to try it for the
first time)

> If anything, it would be nice to provide .tar.xz in
> addition to .tar.bz2, which has a nicer compression ratio:

+1.

I personally, have not downloaded any .xz compressed file yet. So, I
would be curious to know about this new format, and if I see Python
being provided in a such a novel format, I would be bit excited to
try it too. :)

--
Senthil