[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sun Dec 5 13:33:40 CET 2010

-On [20101205 12:19], Georg Brandl (g.brandl at gmx.net) wrote:
>I wonder if it's still necessary to provide .tar.bz2 and .tgz source
>tarballs.  If anything, it would be nice to provide .tar.xz in addition
>to .tar.bz2, which has a nicer compression ratio:

Given that xz is only provided since GNU Coreutils 7.1 and only in some
newer BSD releases (if at all, I know FreeBSD 8 at least has it in the base,
no idea about pkgsrc and such), I'd say you might want to provide tgz and
tbz2 for another year before really stopping to provide other formats.

I mean, seriously, is providing some extra files in a particular compression
format the biggest of our problems?

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
The only trust in this world is that of steel...