[python-committers] Mercurial Status?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 23:36:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Jack Diederich <jackdied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
>> ..
>>> Good luck (and justice!) with your (both) thesis. Uhmmm, what is the
>>> plural for thesis, in english?. In Spanish it is the same word, changing
>>> the prefix article: "la tesis"/"las tesis" :).
>>
>> "theses"  - isn't English fun?
>
> I blame Greek.

And Latin, and Germanic... and, well, pretty much every other language
English speakers and their ancestors have ever encountered ;)

I have a T-shirt which says "English doesn't borrow from other
languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them down and goes
through their pockets for loose grammar". It's funny because it's true
:)

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Other languages may be just as indiscriminate in their evolution,
but English is the only one I know sufficiently well to comment on the
way it evolves over time.