[python-committers] pybsddb 5.0.0 integration and 2.7beta1 schedule

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 7 00:54:02 CEST 2010

Jesus Cea wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 10:12 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> My original plan was to delay integration of pybsddb 5.x.x for 2.7.1
>>> release
>> Bugfix releases are only for bug fixes, by definition. 2.7.1 shouldn't
>> receive such a change.
>
> In the past 2.6 received a small patch to be able to compile against BDB
> 4.8. There are other precedents.

That would be different, though. Making it work with newer versions of
external libraries does not change the feature set of the module itself,
and may count as a bug fix because it keeps Python compilable on systems
which have the newer library installed.

A new major release of a module probably has new features, which can't
be added in a bug fix release.

>> Why should it be "transparent"? Are you so confident that it won't bring
>> any new problems? Given that we are talking about a new major version
>> number, this sounds a bit optimistic.
>
> pybsddb 5.0.0 compiles against BDB 5.0.x, but it doesn' support any new
> feature. The diff is pretty small, and the testsuite is very extensive.
> I am pretty confident.

Still, I'm skeptical whether it should be added to 2.7 this late. The
original release date for rc1 was last Saturday, so any new feature
proposed now should be considered as being past the deadline.

Regards,
Martin