[python-committers] pybsddb 5.0.0 integration and 2.7beta1 schedule

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Apr 6 23:43:39 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> Oracle just released Berkeley DB 5.0.21, with features like SQLite façade.
>
> I am now testing pybsddb 5.0.0, that supports BDB 5.0.x.
>
> My original plan was to delay integration of pybsddb 5.x.x for 2.7.1
> release, but Larry Hastings has a (sensible) request to migrate pybsddb
> from CObject to Capsule for 2.7.0. Current pybsddb 5.0.0 already
> contains that change.

After 2.7.0 is released we can't make any API change like the CObject
to Capsule migration.  I'd go ahead and get that in (if not for beta1,
make sure it is in before beta2).

Tiny tweaks to support compiling against a new BerkeleyDB version that
has the typical minor changes to their API has been done in the past
on .1 or .2 releases as it makes that version of Python last longer as
far as what external libraries it can link against.  I wouldn't object
to that, though I really don't expect there is high demand for that
anymore.

> I am reluctant to integrate the code change before beta1, because
> although it should be transparent I don't want to risk a red buildbot,
> even for 20 minutes, so close to beta1. Integrating it between beta1 and
> beta2 would be riskless, but it would break API compatibility (because
> the CObject->Capsule) change.
>
> I don't know how many people depend of the pybsddb C api, although I
> think that very little.

agreed, probably not many.