[python-committers] Survey about DVCSs compared to svn

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 27 23:34:42 CET 2009

On 2009-02-27 20:56, Georg Brandl wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
>
>> IMHO, those are all feel-good factors which can easily be had by
>> installing a local Subversion repo copy (sync'ed using svnsync (*)),
>> except perhaps regarding merging - but I don't know anything about
>> in what way the DVCSes are better than Subversion.
>>
>> (*) This provides fast reads. Writes will still have to to the
>> main repo site. See
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#webdav-proxy
>
> So for merging we use svnmerge, for having a local repo we use svnsync.
> If we continue that way, perhaps there is a svnlocalcommit for on-the-fly
> committing, and so on.
>
> But once you have to install, learn and maintain Subversion plus a handful
> of tools, just to get the same level of convenience you get for free with
> a DVCS, you can't tell me the former is easier than the latter.

I am not saying that. Just suggesting that this is possible with
Subversion as well, so it's not a technical argument for changing
the main repo system.

For those who want to use local commits, it's probably easier to just
go with one of the DVCS systems hooked up to the central SVN repo.

... and in two years, when DVCS 2.0 will be new and shiny, interested
developers can then use those systems to hook up to the central
SVN repo ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 27 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/