[python-committers] Data corruption issue (C IO library)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 7 16:26:53 CEST 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:20 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>> Why does that require doing alphas and betas? I believe the 2.5.x
>> releases only had a RC and the 3.0.1 and 2.6.x had no preview
>> releases
>> before the final bugfix release.
>
> OK, maybe alphas and betas were a bit too skeptical; but there needs
> to be
> *something* that people can test before final.  Otherwise, another
> release
> may be necessary just afterwards :|

I'm skeptical about pre-releases for micro releases.  Nobody outside
dedicated insiders really tests them and y'all can test the source
branches anyway.  I also don't think it's /that/ big of a deal to
release a new micro release right away for the occasional brown bag
moment.

An alternative may be to embargo a micro release from the public for a
day or so.  Build it and upload it, and announce it here.  Let people
at least test installs and a few very simple things, and then 24 hours
later, update the public links and make the announcement.

OTOH, if and when snakebite.org is part of our normal development
process, the RM can just use that to make sure nothing horrible is
broken.

I'd say JFDI :)

-Barry