[python-committers] Data corruption issue (C IO library)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 7 01:28:43 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> A data corruption issue has been discovered in the C IO lib in Python
> 3.1 (http://bugs.python.org/issue6629). I've applied a fix, and I wonder
> whether we should make a release quickly to minimize the probability of
> users hitting the problem?
> (Georg tells me Benjamin is on holiday, however)

FWIW, I also think we should make a new micro release right now.  We can't
be seen to take data corruption issues with the most basic file operations
lightly, especially in Python 3; otherwise, people will think we still don't
consider it ready for use.

We can either make a release with only that patch applied, or a release of
the full 3.1-maint branch, but the latter would need alphas and betas.

Georg