[python-committers] Data corruption issue (C IO library)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 7 00:02:29 CEST 2009

> A data corruption issue has been discovered in the C IO lib in Python
> 3.1 (http://bugs.python.org/issue6629). I've applied a fix, and I wonder
> whether we should make a release quickly to minimize the probability of
> users hitting the problem?

There are always two dimensions in which to evaluate criticality of an
issue: how serious is the problem it can cause when it hits, and in how
many real applications is it likely to occur?

In the first dimension, I agree it's a serious problem. In the second
dimension, it only affects applications that seek on files, and so I
believe the problem is only of minor relevance.

I think posting a patch on the 3.1 release page would be sufficient
for now, along with a summary description on the circumstances that
may trigger the bug, and the consequences it may cause.

Regards,
Martin