[python-committers] Snakebite buildbot slaves: opinions wanted

Trent Nelson python-committers-list at trentnelson.com
Tue Apr 28 00:34:40 CEST 2009

Howdy,

    I'm as ready as I'll ever be -- it's time to start setting up some
    Python buildbot slaves on Snakebite.  I wanted to reach out and see
    if anyone had any particularly strong opinions on how the slaves
    should be set up.

    We've got two main options: use the existing Python buildbot master
    and just create new slaves for Snakebite hosts, or, set up a new
    Snakebite-specific buildbot master for now, keeping it completely
    separate from the existing infrastructure.

    I think for at least the first couple of months it's best to assume
    the Snakebite slaves will be wildly unstable/unavailable, or at the
    very least, that's how I'd like everyone to view them, just so expe-
    ctations aren't set too high.

    FWIW, I presented the same option to the Twisted folk, and they said
    they'd prefer to use their existing buildbot master, claiming that
    they're used to unreliable buildbots and false-positive e-mail noti-
    fication, and noting that they have something similar to our own
    'stable' buildbot view that slaves are promoted to once they've dem-
    onstrated they're not falling over every other commit.

    (Additionally, we agreed that we could set up a 'snakebite' buildbot
    view for all the Snakebite slaves, which has numerous benefits; we
    could do this for Python as well.)

    Thoughts?

        Trent.