[python-committers] 3.0rc2 schedule

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 00:01:39 CEST 2008

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> If you don't make a habit of borking your own filesystems with dodgy
>> filenames, it runs fine.
>
> I really hope the individuals making this argument are being facetious.
> I don't think this is the source of the problem at all.

To quote Raymond: "native speakers of ASCII will never be able to master
Unicode like a native"

I.E. not being facetious, so much as underestimating the frequency of
the problem occurring in other parts of the world due to living and
working in a single language environment where encoding issues almost
never arise (and where UTF-8 is by far the most common encoding after
ASCII and iso-8859-1).

Cheers,
Nick.