[python-committers] Cutting Python 2.6

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 2 22:25:19 CEST 2008

> You always create a branch for the release (subversion doesn't make any
> distinction between a tag and a branch anyhow, so you might as well just
> make a branch).

I don't think the tag should be edited (there are a few that were, and
that's unfortunate already). For example, conversion to bzr will
conclude it's a bazaar branch, not a tag.

> Any by "copy" you mean "merge", right?  Presumably someone is cutting a
> release because we believe it's done, and thus the likelihood of needing
> to make changes is very very low.  If you indeed have the extraordinary
> circumstance where you have to modify the release after you make the
> branch, just make the change on the branch, cut the release, and merge
> that change back into the main line.

It's standard procedure to change the code after declaring it
releasable; during the release process, the version numbers get adjusted
throughout, and those changes get committed before the release tag is
made.

> Version control systems are built to avoid precisely the situation which
> is being discussed here - we should take advantage of that.

I would leave that up to the release manager.

Regards,
Martin