[python-committers] How to handle subscriptions?

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Sat Jul 19 03:27:03 CEST 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> Might as well use the list to discuss this. =)
>
> The question for subscribing people is to either do it en-mass or as
> we come across people's emails.
>
> Eric suggested we set a deadline to get emails (he said this Tuesday),
> and after that we add people individually. That idea is fine with me,
> although I might be out of town this weekend and I leave for
> Pittsburgh for a conference Tuesday and will be in the air most of the
> time. That means it might fall on the shoulders of the rest of you to
> find all the emails. =)
>
> The other option is we set up a form through the Google spreadsheet,
> have people enter their username and email, and then we validate it by
> eye. That way we don't have to enter all the data ourselves. Granted,
> someone could be an ass and enter false emails, but I don't know if we
> are that worried about it.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other.  My schedule is that I'm
around until next Saturday, the 26th, then away from a computer until
Aug. 13.  That will be the longest I've been out of touch in a decade!

I'm not too worried about people putting in bogus info if we use a
world-writable spreadsheet.  Everyone can read the archives, and if they
post inappropriately we can remove them.

For many of the usernames in the existing committers spreadsheet, can't
we match them up to usernames (and therefore addresses) in the
bugtracker?  Can we get at that info?  Would that be a helpful way to
prime the pump?

Eric.