[python-committers] ubuntu release plan

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Aug 15 00:35:59 CEST 2008

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Ubuntu's sophisticated release plan is certainly justified by its
> business model, and the desire to both appeal to the open source people
> and the corporate people without creating two different distributions.
>
> I don't think Python has the same business requirements (neither does it
> have marketing and commercial teams), and having differentiated releases
> sounds like unwarranted complication.

IMHO the PSF and Python core development crew doesn't have a business
plan at all. By business plan I'm referring to making money with Python
directly. As far as I know most core developers are working on Python
beause it's fun. Some developers like Guido are paid by their employers
to work on Python as part of their job.

Just a crazy idea ... Maybe it's time to make the next step toward
professionalizing Python. Python is more and more becoming important for
companies. They have to rely upon a stable and solid Python interpreter.
  Perhaps some companies are willing to pay the PSF. In return the PSF
could hire some developer to work on Python full time. A couple of
months ago one well known core developer expressed his interest in a
paid job. A crew of three to four full time developers could make a huge
difference.

> Just my two non-Canonical cents of course!

Nice pun :)

Christian