[Python-buildbots] Idea: have a different buildbot server for unstable workers?

Michael aixtools at felt.demon.nl
Sat Mar 9 08:02:00 EST 2019

On 08/03/2019 15:20, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Le ven. 8 mars 2019 à 10:44, Michael Felt <aixtools at felt.demon.nl> a écrit :
>> I am fine with running only on the master branch - as I long gave up the
>> fight for back-porting. Hard enough to get people to look at master
>> (emote: speaking - so also see a smile). For 2.7 the view has been, for
>> as long as I have been trying, that all my fixes were "new features" so
>> they were refused. Or some variation of that.
> Right, we rarely backport changes to support a new platform in stable
> branch. Example of exception: we backported changes to support OpenSSL
> 1.1.x, but it's not exactly a "platform" :-)

I was actually think more of the backporting from master to 3.7 and 3.6.
It was made very clear to me well over a year ago that "nothing" would
be considered for 2.7. However, the issues I have been fixing have been
around forever. I guess I was not smart enough to "request" a backport
for the previous issues.

Not trying to be a burden for anyone - is it worth looking into? I could
try some "simple" merges. Most of the changes are closer to typo's that
anything else.

>> As to supporting AIX - I obviously, cannot promise 24x7 support - only
>> best effort for as long as I am able. My goal as a packager is that it
>> be transparent and what can be installed can be uninstalled. And, imho,
>> stable Python is in the interest of AIX customers. They are the people I
>> try to cater to.
> Nobody is available 24x7 :-)
(No I am not :p - I know I am nobody - my wife tells me so whenever I go
on a trip -"Nobody loves me!" So I guess "Noone" is available 24x7 :) )

> Don't worry, we will bug you as soon as it turns red again by email
> and you can reply whenever you want or ignore such bug :-)
>

>> And, in that line - if possible, you may add my email address to the
>> mails the AIX bots send.
> We don't have such granularity yet. Again, we will simply notify you
> explicitly, ex: on bug reports.
>

>> Side-question: when do the build-times and success-rate start getting
>> scored. The PPC64 bot is "stable" in that it does not fail everything.
>> And if you could accept the change to setup.py to not always give the
>> preference to ncurses (which is onloy available via third party on AIX)
>> I hope it would go to full "PASS" status.
> I don't understand which change you are proposing. Maybe open a bug report.

I have a bug report, and a PR open for this. Would be "nice" to see it
backported into 3.7 and 3.6 as well.

https://bugs.python.org/issue36210 and
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/12202