[Python-buildbots] Need for another macOS builder for the buildbot fleet?

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 17:29:18 EDT 2019

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 11:42 PM Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 16:31, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, would there be interest in another Mac in our fleet? Is it important
> > enough to be worth the (reasonable) effort? I would be willing to keep it
> > on an old version of macOS, or always the one-before-latest, if that would
> > help.
>
> Another macOS buildbot would be very welcome, IMHO.  At the moment, we only have a High Sierra (macOS 10.13) one which is not the latest release of macOS (10.14 and soon to be 10.15).  It would be great to have one running a current system and doing testing of installed framework builds.  A Mini would be a good choice; the most important characteristic is to get as much memory as practical; and an SSD or Fustion drive would be good.

Ideally it would be doing all of the build on tmpfs or similar, both
for speed and to avoid degrading the SSD quickly. I'd definitely need
a nice chunk of RAM for that.

Next step: Given that the PSF grant is for $500 and I don't want to
exceed that more than just a bit, what model(s) of Mac Mini should I
be looking for? I've started taking a look, but suggestions would be
very welcome! (Consider that I live in Israel: additional shipping
costs; problematic return of defective products; available local
certified Apple retailer)

- Tal Einat