[Python-authors] Book writing software

Naomi Ceder naomi.ceder at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 19:24:49 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Mike Driscoll <mike at pythonlibrary.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep thinking I need to write a Python book and I think I'm finally
> ready to start. Can anyone tell me what software they recommend for writing
> the book in? I hate MS Word for writing long documents with markup, but I
> don't think Notepad++ really makes sense either.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

For me the choice was largely determined by the publisher's requirements,
so I have suffered through using Word (and Open Office, since it crashed
less frequently).

No useful advice from me, just a caveat. The real pain point I've always
felt is keeping code snippets current through testing and revision. I know
that some people have been working on solutions to this issue. I can tell
you that managing code when writing in something like Word is a total
nightmare.

Naomi Ceder
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111396744045017339164/about