[Python-authors] intro and looking for writing tips

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:22:25 CEST 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 6:46 PM, Matt Doar wrote:

> I've been writing technically for about 20 years now (papers,
> reviews, a Ph.D. thesis, various articles, a book for O'Reilly etc)
> and I still think "you need the determination to get it done" is the
> most important advice. 98% perspiration and all that.

I definitely agree with that.  I'm still learning to estimate the
amount of time writing different lengths and types of work take.
Usually it's more than I think. :-)

> Then you really have to care whether people understand what you are
> saying, and of course you need basic proficiency in some language
> (I'm starting at the beginning). Along the way I've been helped by:
> Thinking who I'm writing for.
> Creating an outline, at two levels if necessary, of the specific
> contents of what I want to communicate
> Reviewing the outline with others
> Filling in the outline.
> Proof-reading, copy editing adds a level of polish.
How much benefit do you think you get from feedback from an editor/
reviewer looking over an early draft vs. something you've revised once
or twice yourself?

> Sometimes I write down a list of things that have irritated me in
> other articles or books to make sure I don't forget to avoid them.

That's an interesting idea, I haven't heard that one before. I guess
that's part of the point of doing a lot of reading, though, isn't it?

Doug