[Python-authors] Writing a technical book

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue Jul 14 02:26:40 CEST 2009

Michael,

I'm in the last (one hopes) stages of revising Manning's Quick Python
Book for a Python 3 specific second edition. Obviously, doing a revision
is less work than writing a new book from scratch, but I would second
all of your observations about both the process in general and working
with Manning in particular. (I also worked on a project with O'Reilly
that was ultimately canceled, and I've found the process with Manning to
be better, although sometimes still exasperating.)

One thing that I would add to your advice on contracts is, "Get an agent."

Sure, an agent will skim off 15% of your hard earned royalties, but in
my case, having an knowledgeable agent increased my advances by over
25%. And they know all of the pitfalls of the publishing biz that most
of us have never dreamed of. Just as tech book publishers have more book
ideas than authors, agents also see more opportunities than they have
clients, and are always on the lookout for authors to represent, so ask
around and get good representation. JMHO.

Cheers,
Vern Ceder

--
This time for sure!