[Python-authors] Author Python Book - Packt Publishing

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:44:02 CET 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:23 PM, wesley chun wrote:

> this is a warning to all before jumping in without looking at the
> waters first. i haven't worked with them before, but based on the
> existing review of their Python books, i would be somewhat hesitant,
> and i certainly wouldn't approach them without an agent. (i'm also not
> sure of their marketing and PR... i doubt they have the same type of
> staff as a more well-known publisher like Pearson [Prentice Hall,
> Addison Wesley] or O'Reilly.)

I've dealt with them before (as a reviewer, not as an author) and it
was my impression that Packt was probably smaller than some of the
American publishers with whom I'm more familiar.  I have no direct
knowledge of that, though, and anyone who missed news of Tarek's book
must have been unplugged from the net for several months.  :-)

> the royalties they're offering seem abnormally high, and even scarier
> is that they tell you over email when this is typically something
> that's negotiated. the standard royalty rate is 10%, as O'Reilly
> states publically:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/oreilly/oreilly/author/ch03.html

It did seem a little surprising, but if O'Reilly publishes their
standard rate I don't see any problem with Packt publishing theirs.
Everything is up for negotiation, no?

> i'm concerned that they offer a higher rate because they spend less
> elsewhere, such as editing. read Alex Martelli's review very carefully
> as well as others' here:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/184719494X

This issue concerns me more.  While I was editor for Python Magazine,
working with authors for whom English was not their primary language
was one of the most time consuming aspects of the job.  Cleaning up
the language while maintaining the author's voice requires a delicate
hand.

> he is doing both the Python community *and* authors at-large a huge
> favor by exposing this type of publisher behavior in the hopes that
> anyone would jump at this project because they: 1) want to be
> published, and 2) want higher royalties. as long as they sell enough
> to cover their minimal costs. it is also strongly likely that the
> editing, if there is any, is outsourced.
>
> here's another one (check out the "most helpful review"):
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/1904811841
>
> anyway, i'm not telling you guys *not* to do it, but just be careful,
> and have good English writing skills because likely, it won't be
> edited much so you should be prepared to be practically camera-ready.
>
> cheers,
> -wesley

Thanks for raising these issues, Wesley.  They are all good food for
thought.

Regards,
Doug