[Python-africa] PyCon ZA 2018 - Ticket sales open

Iwan Vosloo iwan at reahl.org
Mon Apr 23 01:50:11 EDT 2018

Early bird ticket sales are now open for PyConZA 2018!

It will take place on the 11th & 12th of October at The Birchwood Hotel
& Conference Centre, in Boksburg North, Johannesburg, South Africa
(location link: https://goo.gl/maps/XMtwhJCKVt92 ). There will also be
tutorial sessions the day before the conference (the 10th) and we will
hold sprints on the 13th & 14th of October.

Starting from only R350 for students and pensioners, go to
https://za.pycon.org/about/buy-tickets/ to see more options and buy your
ticket.

We are currently accepting proposals for talks. If you would like to
give a presentation, please register at https://za.pycon.org/ and submit
your proposal, following the instructions at
https://za.pycon.org/talks/submit-talk/ . We have a number of tracks
available, including: Web, Scientific-Computing/PyData, Testing and
Other (which includes all talks that don't fall under the mentioned
tracks). Closing date for submissions is the 31st of August and we hope
to notify accepted presenters by no later than the 7th of September 2018.

The presentation slots will be 30 minutes long, with an additional 10
minutes for discussion at the end. Shared sessions are also possible.
The presentations will be in English.

PyCon ZA offers a mentorship program for inexperienced speakers. If you
would like assistance preparing your submission, email team at za.pycon.org
with a rough draft of your talk proposal and we'll find a suitably
experienced speaker to act as a mentor.

In addition to talks, we are also looking for proposals for tutorials,
demos, sprints and open spaces.

Tutorials will be held before the conference and are expected to provide
in-depth coverage of a topic. The number of attendees will also be
limited. We are accepting proposals for either half-day (4 hours) or
full-day (8 hours) tutorials. We hope to notify accepted tutorial
presenters by no later than the 27th of July 2018.

Demos are cool things for attendees to see and interact with.

Open spaces are open discussion forums where communities with a common
interest gather to present views, ask questions and meet people
interested in the topic.

Sprints are coding efforts and hack days that happen after the conference.

There is no need to register a sprint or open space topic upfront, but
doing so allows us to advertise them during the conference.

Financial assistance for attendees is available at:
https://za.pycon.org/financial-aid/ and will be reviewed on a
case-by-case basis.

--
Iwan Vosloo
On behalf of the PyCon ZA organising committee