[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] dbm.sqlite

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 9 23:37:15 CEST 2008

On 2008-09-09 21:49, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Josiah Carlson <josiah.carlson <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> While the wrapper for sqlite to offer
>> a dbm-like interface is relatively untested (it does have testcases
>> thanks to Skip), dealing with a couple-hundred (at most) line wrapper
>> is far more reasonable for testing, verification, bugfixing, etc.,
>> than the wrappers for bsddb.
>
> There is theory and there is practice. There are lots of things that unittests
> can't or often don't catch. I don't think it is reasonable at all to add a
> completely new and untested storage backend at the last minute, while the usual
> advice for module inclusion is to first publish it on PyPI to get feedback and
> estimate popularity.
>
> Another possibility is for the module to be clearly labeled as experimental.

Since when are we adding experimental modules to the stdlib ?

Also, we're past beta3. This is not the time to add completely new
modules to the stdlib - regardless of whether they are stable,
experimental or something in between.

Note that this doesn't mean to imply anything regarding the module
implementation itself. It's a matter of quality control and
assurance.

Besides, what's so bad with downloading and installing a package
from PyPI ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 09 2008)