[Python-3000] PEP 3108 and the demise of bsddb3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:30:34 CEST 2008

Jesus Cea wrote:
> This is true. But python uses openssl, for example, and it must be
> updated from time to time, for example. The only difference is that the
> bugs are not discovered by python.
>
> In fact, I can say that Berkeley DB 4.7 snapshot releases crashed a lot
> with bsddb testsuite. Berkeley DB 4.7.25 is rock solid, in part, because
> of pybsddb and the feedback between me and Oracle people.

I think that comparison actually cuts to the heart of the issue - the
problem isn't the stability of pybsddb itself, it's the stability of the
underlying bsddb libraries. We don't typically have anywhere near the
same level of problems with other wrapped interfaces (tk, sqlite3,
openssl come to mind).

Making anydbm/whichdb more extensible to allow any DB-API compliant
interfaces to add themselves in 2.7/3.1 in a supported fashion would
definitely be a good change though. The ActiveState and Enthought folks
may also give some serious thought to continuing to bundle pybsddb even
with their Python 3.0 releases (especially for Windows).

Cheers,
Nick.

Unsubscribe:
http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-3000/ncoghlan%40gmail.com