[Python-3000] PEP 3108 and the demise of bsddb3

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Sep 4 16:59:13 CEST 2008

[Brett Cannon]
>> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:33 PM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
>> All but dbm.dumb require some pre-existing library to exist to compile
>> against. So any platform that has the proper libraries installed will
>> be able to use ndbm or gnu, but as for which platforms that are I do
>> not know.

[Paul Moore]
> On Windows, none are available except dbm.dumb and bsddb (presently).
> If bsddb is to be removed, can/should one of the other "real" dbm
> variants be added to the standard binary, so that Windows users have
> at least one usable dbm option?

The is a major problem for shelves (which I use often).

Some alternative needs to be put in place before bsddb gets ripped-out.

Was any of this discussed or thought through for PEP 3108?
What's wrong with deprecating in 3.0 and replacing in 3.1?
What advantage is there in ripping out bsddb during a release
candidate and crippling shelves on Windows?
Why the rush to rip it out no matter what?

Raymond